Little swimmer

Little swimmer

Thursday 27 February 2014

Happy Birthday - me!

I've really been spoilt this year - one of the firsts of spending my birthday in the sun, and celebrating for the whole week starting in Singapore. And by sun I mean the Equator blazing hot all day sun, not the beautiful blue skies sunshine when it's -20 degrees! 

My parents treated me to a stay in the world famous Marina Bay Sands with its infinity pool on the 57th floor. The view is truly breathtaking, and waking up above the Singaporean skyscrapers is amazing. Once in a lifetime I'd say - since the rest of the experience is pretty impersonal. There are thousands of hotel rooms, and thus the second you step into the complex you join a queue that won't have an end. There's a check in queue, a wait for your luggage and a rumble to get a seat by the pool. All the beautiful (and less so) people are trying to get a spot by the pool's side to have a photo taken, and all Japanese tourists are snapping selfies. (so I had to try one too!) 
So I probably wouldn't hurry back - if not to sample the chocolate and cheese buffet...

Singapore has got everything to offer for a tourist - or an expat. I couldn't help but compare the experience to a weekend in Brunei.... People are really helpful, what ever you might need can be found in shops, public transport works a treat, and there's a nice vibe to the place. And there's life! My favourite place was the Arab quarter (ironically), especially the quirky Haji Lane with one off shops, bars and coffee shops. We also enjoyed the quays but I did have to have a double take having paid roughly £15 for 2 pints... Luckily a local took us around on night two and we were able to save our pennies. 

However, one tick in the box had to be collected no matter the cost: Singapore slings. Raffles is sympathetically renovated, and I enjoyed the athmosphere in the Long bar despite it not even being in its original location. It may have been the time of the day - we found it a tranquil and cool haven after a day's walking, but granted, it is a tourist trap. I found it slightly amusing that ladies sitting next to us ordered the signature cocktails without even checking the menu and then asked the bar tender what is in a Singapore Sling. Hope they liked it! I just felt sorry for the staff behind the bar; I wonder if they ever get to make anything else except mixing slings and occasionally pouring pints... 
At least I ordered an 1889! 

And finally this weekend is spent by the pool in Miri. I'm a lucky lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment