Little swimmer

Little swimmer

Thursday 24 July 2014

18 hours later

As promised, this is the account of THE flight(s) as I'm happily sipping rose in nearly eternal daylight in super-warm Helsinki.
Jabatan terbang in Brunei is still not finished despite of the plans of welcoming the ASEAN country leaders through the brand new arrivals hall last year. Most of the departures is wrapped up, leading to an insufficient number of seats for waiting passengers, and to no internet. Note to self, don't go there more than the bare minimum time before departure. At least there are no queues - silver linings....

I was clearly ready to leave Brunei as I completely lost it in the coffee shop waiting for our flight. I was waiting for my coffee, and waiting, and waiting, so I finally went to shout at one of the 4 members of staff who was facebooking (apparently he was texting his manager). Not cool. But I got my mocha frappe pretty quickly after the outburst.

After our previous travels I had grown wise to the "security checks before boarding your flight" so I didn't purchase any drinks just to throw them in the bin. But there's none of this please taste your baby's drinks and meals neither so I was able to share Sofia's drinks on the plane.

Singapore is such a breath of fresh (clean and efficient) air in comparison. Like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when I reached the airports well lit corridors. The process of rechecking our luggage for Helsinki flight took just under an hour and included a rendition of Frozen music to the passport officials (by Sofia) and several accounts of The plane flies niaaaauuuu crash to the bemusement of fellow passengers (again by Sofia). Since T1 in Singapore offers free films, the rest of the 2 hours flew by. Although I would have much rather been shopping! 

On both flights I managed to dodge the chicken & rice option in favour of  beef and potato. Finnair did beat RBA on that. Furthermore Finnair surprised my taste buds in the morning with a cheeky bratwurst fry up. I hadn't realised how much I had missed that taste!

Sofia was a real star on the flights. We did a bit of stickers but most of the time was glued to an iDevice, which I generally loathe but had already given myself the permission to use them as much as I needed. I already feared Sofia wouldn't sleep before night was declared on the flight; Unfortunately I was right. At 2 am,  after 1 Frozen, several games, 2 Gruffalos and a meltdown we had the lights out and a sleeping Sofia. Whilst she kept waking me up wrestling in her seat, she seemed to sleep well until the lights came on 2,5 hours before landing giving us 5 hours of sleep. My made up scarf tent didn't fool anyone. As I tried to convince Sofia  that it was still night, she peaked through the blinds and clearly declared the night to be over....

A bit of breakfast and some more telly later we reached our destination. If Brunei was beautiful in the night, Helsinki greeted us with cloudless skies. Both of us crashed for a nap in the day but all in all the flights went much better than anticipated! 


No comments:

Post a Comment