Little swimmer

Little swimmer

Saturday 17 January 2015

Tennis mums

I am fully embracing the expat wives' life with children at school and signed up for tennis lessons. The course is actually organised by the school; they have got great facilities - especially if you get to play before 10 am - and the timing is perfect just after drop off.
Learning tennis is something that's always played on my mind but I haven't really ever picked up a racket except as a kid playing on the road, pretending. But who ever said old dog can't learn new tricks was onto something.... We've only had two lessons with two different strikes; last week was "easy", this week I was already all confused between the two. Front hand - back hand - where's the leg, how many hands to hold the racket.... Oh, that was the ball.... Better luck next time!

The group is quite a mixed ability one with only few beginners and occasionally it feels quite frustrating that all my balls are flying high. At least they are going over the net - yes, thanks for the encouragement! I'm not sure if 12 learners is the best group size as the lessons seem to go by demonstrate-practice line rather than getting 1-1 tuition and whilst I am aware what I am meant to do, it's not quite that simple in my brain. From low to high isn't as easy as it looks! I thought I was quite good at body and muscle control but this is clearly not my forte. But I am laughing and sweaty after an hour so I guess that's mission accomplished. I will never challenge the Williams sisters, though, and probably not many of my course mates either!


No comments:

Post a Comment